[nagdu] Scavenging and Sniffing

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Wed Oct 9 15:32:24 UTC 2013

Hi,
I think the use of a gentle leader or another head collar is very helpful with this issue. I hope Dallas enjoyed his peanut butter cup!
You can also try doing obedience with food distractions.
For instance, lay a sausage link or some other type of people food on the ground and have your dog do obedience within a few feet from that object. You want the dog to be close enough to grab it, but praise them when they ignore it. Have the dog do sits, downs, stays, comes and other obedience exercises while the dog totally ignores the sausage or whatever you use. It may take some time to get the dog to not dive for it. But, this helps a lot in teaching dogs to ignore food on the ground or within reach.
Hope that helps.
Deanna and Pascal