[nagdu] National Epidemic of Horrible People Pretending to Be Disabled |

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 14 16:25:42 UTC 2013

Dear All,
	I think we should be very skeptical of the flurry of such articles
in the past couple months. Most of them have one thing in common: Most
either refer to or are featuring CCI consumers. CCI is the organization
promoting an online petition to regulate the online sale of service dog gear
and identification.

	These reports have asserted it is a federal crime to pass a pet off
as a service dog. I find it very interesting, as violation of the ADA is not
a criminal offense, rather, the aDA is a civil law with no criminal
remedies.

	It is my personal opinion that the prevalence of this sort of
behavior is being intentionally exaggerated in an effort to support the need
for certification. This would only benefit the training programs, not the
disabled community. I am of the opinion that the best way to counter this
issue - if it is really an issue - is to better educate places of public
accommodation about what is really a service dog and that the rights of the
disabled under the ADA are not absolute, but carry with it specific
responsibilities of acceptable behavior.

	I received a call from a restaurant a couple weeks ago about someone
who came in with an untethered  dog, claiming it was a service dog. The
owner asked if it was a service dog and the patron told her that it was none
of her business and she could not ask any questions because doing so was a
violation of HIPAA. I advised her that she could and gave her the questions
she could ask. I was advised the patron came in again a couple days later,
she asked the right questions, he again made the same assertions, he was
asked to leave, and he told her he would see her in court. She handed him
our brochure and told him to give me a call if he had any questions.

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, it's a federal crime to
use a fake service animal to take advantage of privileges reserved for those
who genuinely need the assistance of such pets. Nonetheless, according to a
recent report from the Associated Press, the use of phony "dog tags" is on
the rise, with owners faking papers or buying badges off the Internet just
so that they can bring their pooches into restaurants, shops, and other
venues that don't usually allow dogs. Advocates of both pets and the
disabled are divided as to how to police those who abuse service animal
privileges, and some are calling for federal authorities to better regulate
and enforce service animal rules around the country.

While it's assumed that only a small percentage of the population would even
think of using a faux service dog to avoid leaving a pet outside a store or
at home in order to grab a bite at a restaurant, even a single incident of
phony service dog usage is enough to get people-disabled and able-bodied
alike-up in arms. Outrage followed the story of a 33-year-old New Yorker
named Brett David, who was featured in the New York Post over the summer.
David bragged about bringing his fake "therapy dog" named Napoleon into
movie theaters, restaurants, nightclubs, Whole Foods, Starbucks, and more
mainly because "I was sick of tying up my dog outside," as he put it.
"Sometimes, they'll give me a hassle and say bring the papers next time, but
for five bucks, you order [a patch] off eBay, and it works 90 percent of the
time," he explained.

People like David aren't the only ones pretending to be disabled to take
advantage of special perks. In late September, the Walt Disney Company felt
compelled to change its disabled guest policy at theme parks partly due to
"abuse of the system." The announcement came after reports surfaced that
wealthy guests were paying wheelchair-riding tour guides top dollar so that
the group could use the line-skipping privileges granted to the disabled at
Disney theme parks.

Meanwhile, over the years, police around the U.S. periodically engage in
sweeps to round up drivers fraudulently using handicapped parking passes,
and apparently it's pretty easy to snag people abusing the system. Last
spring, over the course of a mere four hours, authorities in Oakland,
Calif., confiscated 13 handicapped placards being used illegally by drivers.
That's out of a total of 70 placards they came across, meaning nearly one in
five was fraudulent.

A report in Seattle published over the summer estimated that one in eight
drivers using disabled parking placards is doing so fraudulently, costing
the city $1.4 million annually. Like in Seattle, drivers with such placards
get to park for free in Providence, R.I., where it just so happens that
there has been an influx of cars with disabled parking passes near train
stations and bus stops. Police began routinely demanding verification and
handed out multiple $500 fines to those who were using passes registered to
someone else. "Not only is it an affront to the persons who have a
disability and need the space, they're cheating the city out of revenue by
parking there," one Providence police officer said of the offenders.

In yet another sting, in Orlando, Fla., police zeroed in on offenders like a
34-year-old woman using a placard registered to someone who was 85, and who
had died a few months prior to the bust. Apparently, the driver, arrested
just before 3 a.m., was using the placard in order to park in a convenient
handicap spot downtown-so that her car was nearby when the bars closed.

Suspicions of disabled placard abuse have gotten so bad in New Jersey-where
more than 500,000 people have special placard and license plate
privileges-that the state introduced tougher regulations last spring. In the
past, anyone who classified for a pass could renew automatically every three
years. As of August 1, though, drivers must submit proof of their condition
every three years before they're granted special privileges. Disabled
parking placards were also redesigned so that it is easier for police and
meter checkers to see expiration dates, and so that it's more difficult for
drivers to unlawfully change the information on the passes.

Brad Tuttle @bradrtuttle

Brad Tuttle covers business and personal finance for TIME. He lives in
Massachusetts with his wife and four sons, and also teaches journalism at
UMass-Amherst.