[nagdu] National Epidemic of Horrible People Pretending to Be Disabled |

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Oct 15 02:26:23 UTC 2013

Sheila,

Yeeks! And I thought it was grim out here in the rural wilds... I can
get to the local bus stop and get somewhere; it's just expensive and a
long trip. But for rural owner-trainers, the cost and time of getting to
wherever the testing takes place would be quite a burden over and above
the cost of testing and certification itself. Well, even when I lived in
Portland, getting down to Salem to be tested would have been a problem
and expense, so I was not much less in favor of having to do such a
thing than I am out here. /smile/

Also, if I can't use public transportation until after the test, I would
still have to hire a driver for a 600 mile round trip covering at least
3 days. That would be a big bummer for sure. Well, I have a driver, but
a lot of rural disabled folks don't.

Going back to Marion's ponderings about the motivations behind CCI's
push for ID requirements -- which is also echoed in some articles by
other training programs -- I do wonder if they are thinking they would
be exempted from the testing requirements or perhaps be in charge of the
system? Or is it just a chance to work in their usual fundraising spiel?
I don't know, but the bit where the article about able-bodied folks
faking disabilities is suddenly co-opted by statements about how the
problem is disabled people thinking they can train their own dogs, which
of course they can't, sure does set my teeth on edge. /lol/ I guess the
big insistence that real service dogs are specially bred for generations
is more a sales pitch for established programs over newer start ups than
anything else. If I remember that the nature of the business end of the
training programs is charitable fundraising, then it all actually makes
sense. It's all about brand marketing, I guess.

I think the chances of a standardized testing system being established
are pretty slim, just because of the cost of it. I do wish, though, that
these folks would think about the unintended consequences of their
proclamations about the perfection of real service dogs. I have a grim
suspicion that more problems for service dog users may come about
because of unrealistic expectations than are caused by rotten pets of
able-bodied folks. I hope I'm wrong there.

Tami