[nagdu] Guide Dog Schools

Shickeytha Chandler shickeytha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:44:07 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I am new to the list. I currently travel with a cane, but am very
seriously considering getting a guide dog in the near future. I am
doing research on guide dog schools to see which might be best for me.
I am considering Fidelco, Guiding Eyes and the Seeing Eye. Does anyone
on this list have either particularly positive or especially negative
experiences with any of these schools? If so, I would be interested to
hear your feedback. Also, I noticed that Fidelco does training at your
residence, whereas the other schools bring you to their campuses for
training. I would like to hear perspectives about the disadvantages
and advantages of each of these methods of training.

Finally, I know that various types of dogs are trained as guides,
ranging from labs to German Shepherds. I would like to know if schools
give you a choice as to what type of dog you are paired with. Also, I
would be interested to hear from anyone who has worked with dogs of
various kinds; I'd like to know your thoughts as to whether there are
distinct qualities that one breed possesses that another breed does
not generally possess. Of course, I am sure all dogs are unique, even
within a breed type.

I know that is a lot of questions for one email. Thanks in advance for
any insight that you can provide.

Shickeytha