[nagdu] Comparing GPS's

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Mon Sep 2 16:50:29 UTC 2013

Hello Darla,

I've tried a number of different GPS apps on my i-Devices over the past several years and have listed my current favorites below. Note that things have recently come a long way in terms of accessible IOS GPS Apps. Where there were just a few choices in 2010, there are now dozens or maybe hundreds of apps that provide GPS and/or POI capabilities and some of these are free and fully VO compatible.

1. When on a walking route, I favor the free Mapquest and paid Navigon or MotionX GPS Drive Apps. These three work pretty well with VO. If there's a chance I'll be walking in an area without cell coverage, I'll choose Navigon or MotionX as they allow the User to load all or part of their maps onto the phone.
2. If I'm using public transportation and want to know where I am in relation to my destination, my current choice is Apple's own Maps App. It is free and works well with VO.
3. If I want to find points of interest (POI) nearby I use a mix of Sendero's "Look Around" App as well as the Around Me and Where to Apps.

Here are a couple of online resources you might find helpful

The www.applevis.com site is an excellent source of app reviews from blind Users of IOS devices.
The following recent Podcast by Mike Arrigo compares five different IOS GPS apps including the new Sendero / Seeing Eye app Ronda mentioned in her reply to your email.
http://www.blind-geek-zone.net/ios-gps-app-comparison/

HTH,
Bryan