[nagdu] Disconcerting message from disability services office

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 3 23:19:31 UTC 2013

	Pets in campus housing is a privilege, not a civil right. According
to the law, housing accommodations and places of public accommodation are
required to demonstrate that a direct threat - a significant risk to the
health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a modification of
policies, practices, or procedures - exists if a service dog is to be
excluded. This is what is known as an affirmative defense. In other words,
the accommodation must prove a threat exists; we are not required to prove
it does not. Proof of vaccination is akin to proving a threat does not
exist.

Fraternally yours,
Marion