[nagdu] Disabled veteran kicked off US Airways plane, refused to put service dog on floor

Daniel Sweeney daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 7 16:04:08 UTC 2013

In the words of a great Warner Bros. production - "What a maroon!"

What more could an airlines do for someone, I mean really.
Being disabled, or having a disability does not entitle a person to any
special favors or treatment. Yes, accommodations must be made, but the
airlines in my opinion went above and beyond their responsibility.
The veteran was out of line and rude. A dog does not belong on a seat!

I was on a RTD bus in Denver the other day which happened to be extremely
crowded. There were no seats available in front since the 2 wheelchair spots
were occupied by wheelchairs, and the front rows were filled too. The only
place was an area for 2 that had no clearing underneath the seat. The driver
asked me if I could put my dog on the seat next to me. I was shocked, and
told him that this was not regular at all. He said in this situation he
would insist on it since I was only travelling a short distance and it would
be fine to do so. Everyone around me clapped and were highly entertained by
the sight of Cass looking out the bus window.
I would never even consider having Cass on a seat unless it was authorized
and it was the only place there was to go.
Courtesy and common sense seem to be lacking, and people must have
consideration of all the others around them.

Just my opinion.

Daniel and Cass
Lakewood, Colorado