[nagdu] Disabled veteran kicked off US Airways plane, refused to put service dog on floor

Howard J. Levine WB2HWW at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 10 16:57:46 UTC 2013

no way my guide dog goes with me...

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Tami Jarvis
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:15 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Disabled veteran kicked off US Airways plane, refused
to put service dog on floor

Hm... I think I would try to get a later flight. I think it would be super
stressful on Mitzi to be with the pets, since she is trained to be with me
and is used to that. I wouldn't want to add to her stress on a long
excursion. Also, I would want her with me in case of emergency, etc. If
she's with me, I know who is handling her and how. Tossing her in a crate
with the pets for the baggage handlers (or whoever) to fling around... I
wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Tami

On 09/09/2013 09:15 PM, Nicole Torcolini wrote:
> If you were in the position where, somehow, your dog could not fit on
> the plane, would you put your dog with the other pets or try to get a
> later flight? Just curious what people think about this one.

passenger-provided absorbent plastic-backed pad).

> 34.	May carriers require documentation that an animal accompanying a
> passenger with a disability is a service animal?
>
> Answer: Generally no, except in limited circumstances as discussed below.
> Unless a foreign carrier has received a conflict of laws waiver
> permitting the carrier to impose such a requirement, or the carrier
> finds that the verbal assurances of the passenger are not credible and
> there are no other indications of the animal's status such as a
> harness, tag or vest, the airline may not require such documentation.
> Carriers are permitted to require documentation for emotional support
> animals and psychiatric service animals.
>
> 35.	What conditions may carriers impose on the transport of service
> dogs?
>
> Answer: Carriers must transport all service dogs (e.g., guide dogs,
> seizure alert dogs, etc.) as long as safety and animal health requirements
are met.

> 36.	Must carriers accept emotional support and psychiatric support
> animals in the aircraft cabin?
>
> Answer:  U.S. carriers must accept any emotional support or
> psychiatric service animal in the aircraft cabin consistent with
> applicable safety and animal health requirements and ensure that its
> foreign code share partners do the same on covered flights with
> respect to passengers traveling under the U.S. carrier's code.
> Foreign carriers must accept any emotional support or psychiatric
> service dog in the aircraft cabin consistent with applicable safety and
animal health requirements on covered flights.

> 37.	What should airline personnel do if a passenger with a disability is
> accompanied in the airplane cabin by a service animal that does not
> fit in the space immediately in front of the passenger and there is no
> other seat in the cabin with sufficient space to safely accommodate the
animal?

> Answer: If a service animal does not fit in the space immediately in
> front of the accompanying passenger with a disability and there is no
> other seat with sufficient space to safely accommodate the animal and
> its partner (i.e., user), there are several options to consider for
> accommodating the service animal in the cabin in the same class of
> service.  The carrier should speak with other passengers to find a
> passenger in an adjacent seat who is willing to share foot space with
> the animal, or a passenger in a seat adjacent to a location where the
> service animal can be accommodated (e.g., in the space behind the last
> row of seats) or adjacent to an empty seat, who is willing to exchange
> seats with the service animal's partner.  As noted in the preamble to
> our rule, there are probably no circumstances in which the purchase of
> a second seat would be necessary to accommodate the service animal.
> If a class of service on a flight is totally filled, there would not
> be any seat available for purchase.  If the class of service had even
> one middle seat unoccupied, the passenger with a service animal could
> be seated next to the vacant seat.  It is likely that even a large
> animal (e.g., Great Dane) could use some of the floor space of the
> vacant seat, making any further purchase by the passenger unnecessary.
> Only if there is no alternative available to enable the passenger to
> travel with the service animal in the cabin on that flight should the
> carrier offer options such as transporting the service animal in the
> cargo hold or transportation on a later flight with more room.  When
> transportation on a later flight is offered, carriers are strongly
> encouraged, but not required by Part 382, to allow any passenger who
wishes to rebook on a different flight to the same destination and on the
same airline to do so at the same fare.

> 38.	If a carrier determines that a service animal cannot accompany a
> passenger with a disability in the cabin due to a behavior problem on
> the part of the animal that may result in a direct threat to the
> health or safety of others or a fundamental alteration in service,
> what should the carrier do?
>
> Answer: The carrier should first permit the passenger to try available
> means of mitigating the problem (e.g., muzzling a barking service dog)
> before deciding to exclude the service animal from the cabin.  If
> those means are not successful, the carrier may follow its company
> policy on pets because the animal has shown that it has not been
successfully trained to function
> as a service animal in public settings.   Whenever the airline decides not
> to accept an animal for travel as a service animal, the airline must
> provide the passenger a written explanation of its decision within 10
> calendar days of the incident.
>
> 39.	 If a carrier determines that a service animal cannot accompany a
> disabled passenger in the cabin and the passenger refuses to allow the
> animal to be transported in the cargo hold and requests instead to be
> rebooked on a later flight, must the carrier do so without additional
> charge?
>
> Answer: If an airline cannot safely transport a service animal (e.g.,
> because it is too large to fit anywhere in the cabin), a carrier must
> follow its nondiscriminatory contract of carriage provisions
> applicable to the passenger's fare in determining how to best
re-accommodate such passengers.
> Although not required by Part 382, carriers are strongly encouraged to
> allow any such passengers who wish to rebook on a different flight to
> the same destination and on the same airline to do so at the same fare.

>>> c
>>> o