[nagdu] Treatment of People with Guide Dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Sep 13 14:25:23 UTC 2013

Nicole,

Interesting observations. Human interactions are very different for me
with the dog than with the cane... I was still getting used to different
interactions from the presence of the cane when I started going around
with dog, so I feel like I've been in a crazy sociology experiment. /lol/

With the dog, people will call her and give her directions, but I have
trained her to ignore them (mostly). With the cane, people give me
directions that are often silly and may be more likely to try to take my
arm or something when I don't want them to. The dog has learned to help
me out when the directions involve the phrase "over there." Whichever
tool I am using, people still seem to think they need to tell me about
every curb and step. People are more likely to talk to me at random when
I'm using the guide dog, but they will often talk to or about the dog.
I've kind of learned some techniques to then guide conversation into
non-dog topics and get the focus away from her if I want to. If I'm lazy
and not that interested in connecting, then a nice chat about the dog is
fine. /smile/

It used to bug me that people seemed horrified that the dog might make a
mistake because that would be awful somehow. Then I noticed that people
are terrified I will make a mistake with the cane because that will be
awful somehow. The annoying thing when I'm using the cane is when there
are people around who are terrified the cane might touch something,
especially if they are the type to insist that I watch where I'm going
and where I'm swinging that thing! This doesn't happen often, but
sometimes there will be gasps of terror or shock when my cane taps a
pole or something. OMG! I ran into it! /lol/ I guess there have been a
few times when I've missed a bit stepping up a curb with my dog and
heard the gasps. But in general, with the dog, I do not appear to be
running into things by tapping them with her.

Hm... Standing at street corners with the dog often means discussing how
she knows how to cross the street since dogs are color blind or
something like that. I'm trying to remember if I've ever stood at a
street corner trying to explain how I cross with the cane. Seems I have
at one time or another. Maybe it's that Portland friendliness? If you
don't say something weird to someone standing at the same corner, you're
just not with it in Portland! Refreshingly, people seem as likely to say
something outlandish and controversial about politics, religion or even
the weather as they are about the dog or the cane. /lol/

Tami