[nagdu] Hesitant on stairs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Sep 13 15:28:05 UTC 2013

Minh,

Glad you and Viva are doing well. I think you are on the right track
praising her to keep her confidence up and help her learn the best way
to manage all the stairs. It could be that she is just being super
safety-cautious and trying to figure out the best way to help you adjust
to whichever type of step you are on. The variations may be as confusing
to her that way as to you. When I'm in environments like that, Mitzi
will slow down if I seem to be having difficulty figuring out the depth
and width of whichever flight of stairs we are on. Sometimes this is
helpful, sometimes more confusing for me. I have to remember not to get
too hesitant and frustrated myself and end up adding to her frustration.
We don't have to deal with that on a day-to-day basis, though, or we
might both end up in meltdown.

One thing you might check is her harness, in case it is bothering her
going down because of the change of angle of pull. It could be that she
is trying to adjust to the different feeling of the pull, but I think it
never hurts to be sure the harness isn't causing real discomfort.

Hm... Since it sounds like there is a lot of traffic around you, would
it help maybe to hang back and wait for a clear space between clumps of
rushing humans? Or is that possible in the circumstances? I was just
thinking that maybe Viva is affected by the added random moving hazard
and stopping to try to get some clearance for both of you? I've noticed
that Mitzi likes to have plenty of space for tricky areas when there are
crowds, but so do I, so we have developed some strategies for that when
we can. We're small town now, so no crowds to practice on, so I nearly
forgot. I need to get up to the university campus here to work on all
that city training we don't use anymore. /smile/

Tami