[nagdu] Treatment of People with Guide Dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 23:30:40 UTC 2013

Hi.  Yes, I have experienced the same thing.  I used to use my cane in
choir performances, and people were absolutely terrified when the cane
would hit them.  It was actually kind of entertaining.  People also
somehow think I am less independent with the cane, which I find very
interesting.  If they pay attention or know some of my blind friends
who are cane users, they learn very quickly that this is not the case.
 But it goes back to that idea that the dogs are somehow smarter than
we are.

I assure you that anyone who thinks that the dogs take care of the
poor blind people really don't spend much time with us or don't pay
any attention when they do.  If my dog took care of me, she would
never get fed, and neither would I!  Lol

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National