[nagdu] GDB Collars

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 15 17:45:30 UTC 2013

Here is the collars section from the equipment  information, which can be
found at http://www.guidedogs.com/site/DocServer/Equipment.txt:

Collar
The collars we use at GDB are the martingale, metal slip, nylon slip and
head collar.

Martingale Collar
It is a length of nylon webbing with an o-ring at either end. Passing
through the o-rings is a short loop of metal chain. The leash is clipped to
a ring on the metal loop. When there is tension on the leash, the small loop
pulls taut, making the nylon collar smaller and tighter on the dog's neck.
For proper fit and function, this collar sits approximately mid-way up the
dog's neck, tight enough to allow effective action with the collar. Fastened
to your dog's collar is a rabies tag and two identification tags - one with
GDB's name, phone number, as well as your dog's name and GDB identifying
code number upon it, and a microchip alert tag. The martingale collar we
issue is put on and taken off using a quick- release fastener.

Metal Slip Collar
This collar is made up of many small links with an "O" ring at each end. The
leash is attached to the "live" ring, the one that pulls links through the
other ring. Correctly worn, this collar sits low on the dog's neck and
releases quickly and smoothly after tightening.
To maintain this smooth action, I. D., rabies and license tags are fastened
to the middle of the collar, away from the ends.

Nylon Slip Collar
This collar functions in a similar way to metal slip collars. However, nylon
slip collars are fitted to stay high on the dog's neck as they have a snap
that enables them to be put on around the dog's neck instead of over the
head. Because of this, the length of the collar can be shorter. This high
positioned collar enables the handler to quickly and calmly gain the proper
response from the dog. It has the effectiveness of the high collar technique
yet eliminates the need to adjust the collar.
The dog still wears their assigned collar with identification, which gives
you the option to change the leash from one collar to the other as needed.
Nylon slip collars are available in a variety of colors so they can either
blend in with the dog's coat or contrast with their fur.