[nagdu] Arizona State NFB Convention

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 22:49:55 UTC 2013

I had to get up at 4am Friday morning to make sure that all my animals were
cared for and had enough time outside before my ride came at 6am.I arrived
at the Raddison and met Rachel there.Off we went for the meeting on
starting a guide dog division here in Arizona.It was a very interesting
meeting and we all agreed that we need this to help each other with
problems which might occur and for advocating for each other in our
state.Also for education.Rachel's dog Lady and my Neechee behaved
great.After our meeting,Rachel and I decided to go get some breakfast.
After getting directions from the hotel staff,we started off on our
adventure. It was fine going down the side walk but a little "hairy"
crossing 2, two lane streets and then navigating the  parking lot to the
restaurant. After breakfast, we headed back to the convention. Lady tried
to take Rachel on another adventure as she turned down a walkway off our
side walk. Rachel got that straightened out and on our way we went again.We
checked out some of the great new technology and I picked up lots of info.I
bought a few small things and talked to a lot of people. Our dogs behaved
very well.This was Lady's and Neechee's first convention.I was very proud
of both dogs. There were lots of dogs and as they passed by us, most of
them stopped to sniff our dogs. All the dogs were cool! The only dog to act
up was a small service dog that was with some one at the registration
table.That person did get the dog under control.Rachel did not go to the
convention on Saturday but I did.Neechee was so good. I felt like I had my
Nala on the end of the leash,that is how well Neechee behaved.We sat
through the whole general meeting and she just slept beside me. Rather than
navigate the tables and chairs with my wheelchair,I drcided to sit in the
back where there was a row of chairs set up.I parked my wheelchair at the
end of the row by the door. When people came through the door with canes,
Neechee would get up and move out of there way and when they had passed she
would lie back down.I did not teach her to do this ,she did it on her
own.Neechee was very patient with the cane users.She waited for them to go
by her and then would continue on. One cane was coming right for her and
the man did not stop so Neechee jumped over his cane and continued on her
way.It didn't seem to phase her. She acted as if all of this was normal and
every day goings on.I really enjoyed the convention and I think Neechee did
also. I met a lot of very nice people and I am now officially an NFB
member. Yawn.....I am still very tired and will take it easy today.  Mardi
and Shaman and Neechee, who is now a full fledged guide dog!

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/