[nagdu] Why Labradors?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 10:19:18 UTC 2013

Hi Minh,
I have met a number of labradors and a number of goldens. I make my
generalizations because of my experiences. Generally, adult goldens
are more laid-back than adult labradors in my experience. I understand
that there are laid-back labs. My dog's kennel mate was a very
laid-back black labrador. And I have assisted in the training of some
down-to-earth labradors. Too, I have seen energetic, spunky goldens,
but they were adolescent service dogs in training, or adult goldens
who were definitely not the service dog type.
I am not saying that labradors are bad guide dogs, but that they tend
to have qualities that I personally would not desire from a working
dog. Also, I was not generalizing goldens in my previous post. Rather,
I was specifying the type of golden that I would like to work with.
Nicole, the guide dog school I am referring to, Gallant Hearts Guide
Dog Center, trains German shepherds, dobermans, boxers, and golden
retrievers. This is a fairly young school with only a few graduates.
But there are many things I like about this program, and I hope that
it lasts just as long as the other schools out there.
Concerning house manners, I think sometimes, dogs' manners go downhill
because of the kennel environment. They stay in those kennels for at
least four months, so there is not much of an opportunity to maintain
house manners. Some dogs come out of the kennels scavenging, eating
their feces, frequently and inappropriately vocalizing, and the list
goes on. If it were possible for the dogs to remain in homes during
formal guide training, like the dogs over in Sweden, I truly believe
it would eliminate or lower the turn out of dogs with some common
behavior issues. Of course, the guide dog school of Sweden is very
small, so they can afford to have the guides in training live with the
different employees.

Raven