[nagdu] Why not goldens?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 17 14:02:21 UTC 2013

I think money figures into which breeds are used also.  If you have a well
established, solid pool of labs, why would you go to the expense of adding
other breeds?  The genetics, medical expenses and time commitment are huge
to develop a line of dogs specific to guide work.  The litters from the
specially bred lines at the schools have a higher success rate than some
random litter of puppies.  To accomplish that level of success takes time
and money, lots of money.  If labs are working, why change what isn't
broken?

What I said way back in the beginning of this thread is still what I
believe, labs are as close to a one size fits all dog as you can get, at
least for the purpose we are discussing here.  That doesn't mean they are
the right dog for everyone, but you are getting the most use out of your
dollar with the labs.  The schools could have lines of labs, goldens, GSD's,
Dobermans, Boxers, and 15 other breeds, but then you are also multiplying
your expense exponentially.

Julie