[nagdu] understanding dog language was your thoughts on this

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Sep 17 18:03:37 UTC 2013

Julie,

Funny. I know what's going on in the neighborhood by how the dogs are
barking. I can even tell which folks are walking by to some extent. I
know when the mail comes before anyone else as opposed to when the dogs
bark out the window at another dog that goes by about the same time. I'm
still working at getting the rotten beasts to do less yard and fence
barking, but get inconsistent about working on it because I like knowing
what is going on. /smile/ Well, they bark at fewer things and bark less,
but I still know what's going on. So I guess we're getting to a decent
point. I can be out in the yard with my dogs now and know what is going
on by how the neighbor dogs are barking, which means mine are being
quiet. Whew!

I guess it comes from being around dogs so much and also interacting
with them behaviorally in a training way? Or maybe some of us just have
dog radar that others don't? Who knows?

I've been noticing how much I pick up from my prancy dancy poodle when
she's in harness, too. Sometimes I'm actually shocked to notice I can't
see what's around me because I have a nice mental image based on her
body language and little movements. I know if it's a squirrel or a kitty
or a friendly dog or an interesting person... Or if it's a travel
trailer parked on the street that might have a kitty under it. /lol/
Well, I also know if it's a worrisome dog vs. a friendly, which I find
convenient. I sometimes get annoyed by the poodle nonsense factor, but
if I had a dog without it, I would be lost! /lol/

When it comes to judging other dogs in the environment, I listen first
to the human, assuming there is one with them. Even if a dog is making
Cujo noises, the human seems to be the best indicator of whether it's
just got a foul mouth or is calling for Death To All Poodles. Mitzi
seems to know the difference, too, so if she is distracted by the dog, I
can figure it's a friendly. If she's not, then I pay attention! But
mostly if I have concerns, I listen to the human voice and response, as
well as how that affects the dog in question. Seems to work.

Tami