[nagdu] The Breed or the Dog

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Sep 18 04:51:32 UTC 2013

All the discussion about different breeds has caused me to think about
something. Often, we know what it is that we want in a dog. We then try to
generalize that to a specific breed or set of breeds, saying I will take
these breeds and I won't take those breeds. However, I think that,
sometimes, we get so caught up in the whole breed thing, that we miss the
whole point. When I went to GDB in 2007, I told them my breed, color, and
gender preferences, but I also told them that, if they found a dog that they
thought was for me, even if it was the lowest on my list, that I would take
it because, for me, I would rather get a dog that was right for me and not
quite the breed that I wanted than get a dog that was the breed I wanted but
not for me.