[nagdu] Are We Consumers/Customers?

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 20 19:16:46 UTC 2013

Darla & all,
	I want to expand upon the message you sent in response to Howard's
comments concerning whether or not we are customers/consumers of the
services of the guide dog training programs. Many think the same way Howard
does - that we are beholden to the training programs and should feel
grateful for the services they provide. In this line of reasoning, if we do
not pay for the service we receive, we have no input on the quality of
service nor the way in which we are treated. Many of the training programs
seem to have this philosophy, as well, though most say this in a much more
passive way, unlike Fidelco Guide Dogs which has the audacity to come right
out and say it! (See my post on www.harnessup.wordpress.com.)

	One thing we must keep in mind and the training programs would do
well to remember, is that the funds they raise to do their work and pay
their salaries are done so on the premise of helping the blind achieve
independent mobility. The funds that are donated are not really given to the
training program for their use; they are given to the training program to be
used for our benefit! The training program is only the channel through which
the services are provided. There are options for where the money can be
donated and the types of services they can support. If donors wish to give
money to benefit the blind and do not believe a particular program is
fulfilling this mission, the donor can opt to give the funds to another
program or for another service. If we, as blind consumers of the service,
feel a donors money is not being used in a manner we feel it should, we have
not only the right, but the responsibility to tell donors how we feel about
the services provided. After all, the money is for our benefit, not the
benefit of the training program.

	I know there are guide dog training programs that focus more upon
the donors and volunteers than the consumer. Such a focus minimizes the
stakeholder interest of consumers. As consumers, we must shift this paradigm
and realize that we have the greater power, not the donor and not the
volunteer. Without us, the CEO would not earn the six-figure income and the
training program would not generate the revenue to maintain its
multimillion-dollar budget!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org