[nagdu] Blind Reverend And Guide Dog Victim Of Hit-Run

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 16:40:50 UTC 2013

Blind Reverend And Guide Dog Victim Of Hit-Run

Sweet Jesus. Down in East Palo Alto, Albert Macklin, a Reverend of the New
Sweet Home Church of God in Christ who also happens to be blind, was hit
while crossing the street at around 8 PM. Also hit? His helpful guide dog.

The suspect, who got out of her car to see if he was okay, saw that Macklin
couldn't see and, well, decided to bolt. KTVU has more:

The driver had backed into him while he was still in the middle of the
intersection, hitting his left side, and pinning Eaton under the trunk of
the vehicle.

Afterward, police said the driver stopped and asked the minister if he was
OK and said she was going to move her car, but drove away from the scene
instead.

"I was waiting for her maybe thinking she would come toward me, maybe check
me out and see if I was ok. But after she got in the car to move the car,
she didn't come back at all," said Macklin.

Although police are going door-to-door to find the woman (description of
neither the suspect nor her vehicle are available), the Reverend just wants
an apology. "It's a simple courtesy -- the simple fact that you hit
somebody," he goes on to tell KTVU. "I didn't have to be blind, but the
simple fact that you hit somebody and you didn't stop to take care of the
matter as it should have been handled."

Adding insult to injury, the police took their sweet time writing a report
on the incident. Mercury News reports: "Macklin said he called the police
and they declined to write up a report Monday night because there were no
witnesses. He only got a response after calling Chief Ron Davis the next
morning ... Davis confirmed that a report was not written until Tuesday, but
said he was waiting for the officers involved to start their evening shift
to determine why not."

Both the man of God and his dog didn't suffer any life-threatening injuries.

Video at:

http://sfist.com/2013/09/18/blind_reverend_and_guide_dog_victim.php