[nagdu] The matching process

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 24 16:36:53 UTC 2013

Recently, when I was picking Jetta from the litter, I had discussed what
sort of dog I was looking for with the breeder.  she made two suggestions,
neither were Jetta.  I was struggling with whether or not to go with a puppy
she was suggesting or to go with my own hunch.  So I asked her why she
picked those particular puppies.  She explained and it made sense, they did
have the traits I was looking for.  However they had them in greater
quantities than I was prepared for.  In the end it came down to an issue of
communication.  I said I wanted a bold, confident dog and she suggested
puppies based on what bold and confident meant to her.  Sure I want a
confident dog, but I also don't want a constant battle of wills, but I
didn't make that as clear as I could have.

I think the same goes for every other trait, what exactly is a high energy
dog?  Is my definition of high energy the same as everyone else's?  How much
pull exactly constitutes a hard pull?What do you mean when you ask for an
easy to handle dog?  There are so many variables and perceptions  of those
variables.  You could express the same exact criteria to two different
trainers and they could very well suggest two different dogs because their
perception of what you want is going to be different based on their
different experiences.

There are certainly things that can be measured mathematically, pace and
pull come to mind.  It would be easy enough to match person and dog on these
factors, but how do you measure initiative or confidence?

Julie