[nagdu] The matching process

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 02:27:43 UTC 2013

Hi Julie,

I had a lot of the same concerns as you when I chose Diamond, except
more-so because I was purchasing her from a breeder across the country.I
knew what temperament/drives in my next dog I wanted, but what I
would've called a high-drive dog, my breeder would've termed medium
drive. She is at the higher end of medium, but if I'd insisted on a
high-drive dog from her kennel, I'd have gotten more dog than I could
deal with. Whereas, if I'd chosen a dog from a school, I'd have insisted
on high drive.

I also sent a long list of traits I wanted because the breeder had never
had a guide dog handler for a client before. I'm sure she thought I was
the most demanding, particular customer she'd ever had. :D

Once we both felt like Diamond and I would be a good fit for one
another, I did have a few people I know and trust see the dog for me,
provide some video, etc before I put any money down for her. Both of
them called me later and told me that "that's your dog." And it's true
*smile* I think part of the reason is that, even though Diamond is much
more dog, she and I have built up such a good rapport that I almost
never even take out my leash. Also, I didn't worry about pace and pull
discussions with the breeder because I didn't know how much that would
make sense to her, but I was pretty clear about how much work and other
physical/mental stimulation the dog would receive. I think too, that
when training one's own dog, it's possible to kind of customize pace and
pull, simply because you're showing the dog what pace/pull you like from
the beginning. So that's how the matching process worked for my last dog.

Shanna and Diamond