[nagdu] take me away!!!

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Sep 27 17:53:09 UTC 2013

Daniel and Darla,

I always check out the people who might be handling Mitzi when I'm not
around, starting with the phone call for an appointment for grooming or
vet. So i feel them out and ask questions or maybe say something to
check their response to my blindness and to the guide dog notion.

Mitzi won't go with anyone who grabs her leash, which I have encouraged
like mad! Even if I've made the appointment, if she seems anxious and
unwilling to go with someone, I listen to that. When she was younger,
she was always unwilling to go with anyone else, but I kinda learned to
tell if it was anxiety about them or just her velcro getting extra
sticky. /smile/

At the vet, I'm a little obnoxious if need be about being in the exam
room with her if at all possible, though I ease up some when I'm
comfortable with the staff. I haven't gotten to know the local vet very
well, so I was a bit traumatized by having to leave Mitzi when we were
diagnosing her stones and then she had to have surgery. But she still
likes going to the vet, so it's all good! I had had the opportunity to
see that the mutt puppy still liked the vet after being spayed there and
getting shots, so that made me feel better about leaving Mitzi.

I always do explain that I use positive reinforcement and mention that
she has some extra commands and that some have different meanings than
from normal obedience. Then I quickly demonstrate a couple, like the "my
hand" targeting, the difference for her between "down" and "off," and
the hand signal for "up" or "on" for when they want her to go on the
table. Well, I can show that while we're weighing her, although I'm not
always good about figuring out actually where to have her stand. Then I
make a mental note to find the scale for myself first, then by next
time, I have lost the note. D'oh! /lol/

I like the mobile groomer we had before we moved over here, because I
could stay in the van and chat while he worked on Mitzi. The two of them
had quite the little love affair! He was also willing to let the puppy
watch some of the process so that when it came time to do her nails, she
was really excited to be like Big Sister! /smile/

Anyway, as I tell folks when I'm first thinking of making an appointment
in a new place, I'm kinda neurotic about Her Poodleness. /lol/ I
actually do laugh a bit after I say it. If they can be cool and laugh
some, too, then I have a pretty good idea that they will be good with
her and respect my wishes with her. If they treat me like I'm a idiot
blind and also neurotic bat, then I know I don't want to deal with them.
This neurotic blind idiot will go elsewhere with The Precious! /lol/

Tami