[nagdu] letter of introduction

Dailyah dailyahpatt at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 29 23:50:18 UTC 2013

I had to go through the whole process a first timer would for my successor.  I already have my dates for training. (Yeah!)  I'm getting a service dog from Canine Companions for Independence, but I've seen a few of the GD applications and they're fairly similar.

I think the letter of introduction absolutely helps.  Throughout the process they'll keep asking more and more questions to really get a "feel of you and your needs/lifestyle".  I think it's important to start all of that in the letter of introduction.  I would tell them things like your living arrangements, anything about your job, do you live in the city or country and either way do you live a fast life or a slow one...things like that.  I also think it's good to give some info about your general disability history/prognosis and current state of overall health.  Basically, I included all sorts of information that might help the staff decide whether a certain dog might be a good match for me...and then they ask for even more info as the application process continues!!!  (At least I got it started, though, by giving them a very good idea of my life, what I'm about, and how a dog fits in with that.  If it's your first application, then they're also
 taking that information to decide whether you're a good match for their program...and if you're not, the more info they have might allow them to suggest a different program that will better suit your needs for whatever reason.

Good Luck!!!
Dailyah and Dog X (coming soon!)