[nagdu] guide dogs in high school

Shannon Dyer solsticesinger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 01:31:18 UTC 2014

Hi, Danielle.

I got my first dog between my junior and senior years in high school. It was back in 1997. GDF was really helpful. I ran off copies of the guide dog etiquette sheet. A copy was given to each homeroom teacher, and read aloud to every class on the first day of the school year. I also spoke at an assembly for all students.

For the most part, my fellow students were cooperative. For those who weren't, my school adopted a super strict policy that punished anyone who was caught interfering with my dog with a suspension.

It was a difficult year, in a lot of respects. There was a certain balance I had to find, even with a few of my teachers. I needed to be able to be authoratitive when necessary without it seeming like I was being disrespectful.

Good luck to you and your pup.

Shannon and the Acelet