[nagdu] A CCB Resolution on changes to have certification for service dogs

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 04:37:16 UTC 2014

 I had a situation in a Fry's grocery store last night. Some one brought a
Pit Bull dog into the store claiming it was a service dog. It did not even
have a license and she had a rope for a leash. This dog growled and lunged
at Shaman .The woman made no attempt to get the dog under control. At one
point the rope,which she had tied to the cart came untied and the dog ran
toward my dog.She had to step on the rope to stop the dog from attacking
Shaman.I was in a line at the customer service desk as this took
place.People in line were complaining about the dog and one woman left the
area as she said she was too afraid the dog might bite her.Shaman ignored
the dog until it got loose and started for him. Them he started to whine a
little.She did get the dog before it got to Shaman but I know Shaman was
nervous as he has already been attacked 7 times, all by Pit Bills.I spoke
to the lady at the Customer service desk and she said she would talk to her
manager about it. I purposely went to the other end of the store do do my
shopping but ended up having to go to the other side of the store as I
needed stuff in the produce isle. The dog again growled and lunged at
Shaman. Shaman tried to ignore the dog but was distracted as I tried to
move away from the turmoil.Again I spoke to a manager and he said he could
do nothing as it was a service dog. I tried to educate him but he just
walked away. The dog was still trying to attack Shaman as he was walking
away. Again I spoke to another employee and tried to educate her. She was
aware that she could ask the 2 questions but did not know that she could
ask the woman to remove the dog from the store. She said she would talk to
her manager.I was so frustrated at this point as the employee went back to
doing what she was doing before I talked to her. She did not go talk to the
manager.I got the item I needed and went to pay for my groceries. While
waiting in line, that dog again growled and lunged at Shaman. This time I
yelled at this woman as by this time I was so frustrated about the
situation and was in no mood to be polite.I told her that she needed to
control her dog and to take it out of the store as it was obviously not a
trained service dog. She just proceeded to pet her dog and say good boy to
it.She rewarded her dog for that behaviour........
was glad to pay for my groceries and get out of there! The Fry's managers
did not want to be educated and could have cared less. If that dog had
gotten to Shaman and bitten him, I would have sued Fry' as well as the
owner of the nasty Pit Bull for damages. Fry's because they did nothing to
stop the situation. Certification is not going to stop these problems. I
have had many incidents like this in different stores and both Shaman and
Neechee have never acted up.No one does any thing to stop these problems
from happening.Because my dogs are owner trained, I have always made sure
that they behave properly as I know my dogs will be scrutinized more so
than a school trained dog.I have also encountered quite a few certified
Handi-Dogs that have acted aggressively. Handi-Dogs and Top Dogs are the
local training groups in my area for Service Dogs. I have encountered
several dog from Top Dogs and never had any problems with them.After Shaman
had been attacked in 3 different incidents, he began to growl at other
dogs. When this happened in a store the first time,I took him out of the
store and he did not go out in public with me until his problem was
remedied, and he no longer growled at any dog.I am at my wits end about
this problem. I don't care if a dog is in a store if it behaves well.I do
hate it when a dog goes off on my dog.Both my dogs are well behaved.
Exasperated.....Mardi and Shaman and Neechee.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/