[nagdu] Check Out This School District Policy- Your Thoughts? Your Suggested Plan of Action?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:27:28 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

>From what I understand from my research on the topic, the issue of
service dogs in schools would fall under the IDEA.  A dog would be
added to the IEP like a cane or any other tool and treated as such.
At least, that's the simple answer.  The ADA would be the law in
question if a person coming into the school brought their service dog.
 A classroom, however, does not seem to be a public entity, and any
student(even adult students) are subject to the policies of the school
districts.  But these policies cannot require the documentation that
this law does.

I don't know about students who cannot control their own service dogs
in school.  I feel like in those situations the parents and the school
should work together to come up with a solution.  My first thought is
that it wouldn't be fair to ask a para aide to take care of the
student's dog, but maybe I'm missing something.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National