[nagdu] Noticing medical issues?

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:20:16 UTC 2014

Beautiful post Karen.
Thank you for writing this.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Karyn & Thane
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:21 PM
To: Nagdu
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Noticing medical issues?

Healthy dogs and I mean truly healthy ones are very few and far between
unfortunately. I don't have a program to rely upon to pay the bills or tell
me when I can have certain tests run. This has given me more opportunities.
In this sense what I mean is the opportunity to stand my ground and get 2nd,
3rd, 4th, 5th opinions if need be.

Met and Thane have both taught me great lessons to seek the answers I needed
to give my dogs the best possible lives.

As service animal handlers, we are often so intune with our dogs that the
teenest variation and we notice it. Like Rox'E noticing issues with LaVeau's
energy and guide work.

I've had to educate myself in alternative treatments (for both my dogs, but
mostly for Met) That said, Thane has taught me that just because a treatment
is the commonly used one, doesn't mean it is the right one for him.

There's been good to come from not having vets like Rox'E has. I have
learned about many conditions, learned to ALWAYS have a baseline full panel
run on my dogs soon after I get them (but wait a couple months if recent
vaccinations have been done). I have learned symptoms of hypothyroidism very
well (thanks to two dogs who developed it and were inadequately treated) I
have learned much more than I ever wanted to about chronic Lyme disease in
areas where ticks are not as commonplace. Above all I have learned that lab
reports are ONLY a tool and they do not always represent the situation
accurately.

I have learned so much in alternative fields-- herbal, homeopathic, TCM,
massage. Each dog has benefitted immensely from my determination to help
them when available vets could not or would not do what they needed.

If your gut tells you something is wrong and you have what it takes to fight
for your partnership, by all means do so-- but if your circumstances don't
allow you to keep seeking answers, do what is right for both of you.

Karyn and Thane