[nagdu] Disclosing guide dogs?

Courtney Vuoncino eveningstar415 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:29:44 UTC 2014

Hi, Daryl,

I am fairly new to this digest and have been quietly reading it each day,
waiting for a topic to come up that I feel strongly enough about to join in
the commentary. Your post about whether or not to disclose that you have a
guide dog was my cue. :)

I love to  travel, both throughout the country and internationally. Though
you are not bound by law to disclose that you have a guide dog, I choose to
do so in order to avoid  any potential problems. I do not go into a
situation expecting to have an issue, but I am the type of girl who likes to
be proactive rather than reactive. As part of this outlook, I include the
fact that I have a guide dog in any reservations I make, whether it be at a
hotel, airline, train, even restaurants that take reservations. I am happy
to say that this step has always been met with kindness and appreciation.
Very often, it makes your outing even more positive because your advanced
notice gives places time to prepare for your arrival, such as making sure to
provide you with a roomier table at a restaurant so your dog has more room
or giving you a hotel room that is close to an exit for ease of walking your
pup. Also, you can answer any questions while you are booking your travel
plans/restaurant visit and save yourself the trouble of having to do it when
you arrive.

One final note:
When I visited Montana for a conference a few years ago, I entered my hotel
room to find a dog bowl, a blanket and a little bag of dog treats waiting
for me (well, waiting for my dog Amelia, anyway). LOL

I hope this post helps to bring another prospective to your thoughts.
Have a great trip!

Courtney and Amelia