[nagdu] We Have Returned from D.C.

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 12 17:41:26 UTC 2014

Dear All,

                Merry Schoch and I returned from D.c. on Friday after a very
productive week doing NFB work. Of particular interest to guide dog users
was our participation in the Service Animal Relief Area (SARA Forum
conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration. We heard from Governmental
officials and engineers who are working to place SARAs in airport terminals
and were provided the opportunity to offer input and suggestions on this
valuable initiative. We also had the opportunity to network with others in
the service animal training and advocacy fields, strengthening our position
in this arena. More details of this meeting will be made available in the
very near future.

                I want to thank Dr. Marc Maurer and the staff at the
Jernigan Institute for their incredible hospitality. On our first day, we
had the unique honor of attending a monthly staff meeting at the Jernigan
Institute and had a tour of the amazing facilities conducted by chris
Danielson. A special word of gratitude to  Lorraine Rovig who gave Merry and
me a locals perspective of Baltimore by showing us around Fell's Point, an
explanation of how the ballast stones became roads, introduced us to
Bertha's Mussels, and taught us about the history of the area in and around
Federal Hill and the Inner Harbor! If you have not been to the Jernigan
Institute, you owe it to yourself to see the wonderful facilities of this
organization of which you are a part. It will certainly give you a new
insight into the National Federation of the Blind and its culture!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789 (Office)

888-NAGDU411 (Hotline

President at nagdu.org