[nagdu] using cardinal directions, GPSes and your guide dog

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 13:28:01 UTC 2014

Me iether. The clock face thing probably has North at the top. But in
reality North has to be figured out with a compass or with environmental
cues. And, figuring out North isn't the only thing you have to do. Landmarks
that GPSes can't pick up are really important as well. That tree that comes
close to the sidewalk, that dip in the sidewalk just before you get to the
house or a certain sound that comes from a pole or building. These are
wonderful environmental cues. Learning how to use them can be fascinating
for some folks. I've always just done it as a kid. I have a friend who had
just learned to use the tip of her can to find out what is there. She is
learning, finally to use environmental cues and her life is getting more
exciting! Professional mobility folks also come in different varieties. Some
seem to do just the minium amount of work for whatever reason to get us
independent. However, I've met some who have been incredible! Haven't seen
many who are experienced with dogs though. Except of course for those who
work with the schools. Finally I've found that if a person doesn't use the
skills they have learned, they become unsure out there in the gig, bad
world! Getting together with friends especially other blind folks can help
improve your skills and confidence. Those who travel well can inspire those
who can't. and those who don't travel so well sometimes don't feel so alone!
Its really fun to "get lost" with other blind folks!