[nagdu] GPS and dogs

Gary Steeves rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 14 17:41:44 UTC 2014

Hi:

I have been using gps for mobility aid since before 8 got Bogart. 8I was using mobile geo on a windows phone. Now I'm using nearby explorer on an andriod phone. The key thing I look for in a gps program is that it is easy to input information and that it can be set up to announce whatever I want. I oftenjust use gps for information as I'm walking so NE announces the upcoming street to keep me oriented. Does good when i input an adress as well. Also gives me bus schedules of the nearest bus stops. Google maps was too silent and it would say things like turn right in 100 yards but not tell me what Iwas turning onto.

Of course, as everyone says, gps is another mobility aid and shouldn't be relied 100%. We still need all our problem solving skills for when something goes wrong or we get caught up in that urban canyoning thing. I am a person who doesn't like carrying around a bunch of devices so I like everything to be in my phone so the most I'm carrying is a spare battery or power cable for those heavy use days.

Gary