[nagdu] access laws regarding guides at sporting events

Laurel and Stockard laurel.stockard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:34:24 UTC 2014

I apologize, this post will be a little long because I'm going to respond to a couple people in this thread in the same message.

Hi Tracy, to answer your question, I was told if I tried that, that upon showing up at the gate and presenting my ticket, I would be forced into wheelchair seating and I'd have to pay the additional price for those wheelchair seating tickets, and if there were no wheelchair seats available that day, I wouldn't be allowed in with my guide dog. I've never taken Stockard and tried this because the games I always go to are away games, not in Dallas, and I would be in a predicament where I would have nowhere safe to put Stockard should I be denied entrance with her. I'm too afraid to take her because of what I've been told, and as a result, I have to take somebody sighted with me to help me navigate. Now, this usually is fine because my father and I go to NFL games together anyway, we have for nearly 12 years, but I still want, and have the right, to take Stockard with me if I choose. Unfortunately, the NFL and it's teams are not respecting this right.

Gary, you have a good point. Sometimes depending on the stadium you can't fit with a dog, so wheelchair seating is the best option, and I do agree that there needs to be wheelchair pricing equal to that of the pricing on every other level, so that fans who need/want to sit in wheelchair seating can afford to do so. I respectfully have to disagree with you on one point though. While the NFL and other sports along with their teams may have the safety and comfort of my dog in mind in designing these policies, I still feel that I should be the one to decide where my dog and I can and can't sit. I don't want a sports team telling me where I must sit, I and the rest of us are responsible handlers, and in my opinion, we deserve to be able to make that decision just like the rest of the public. If you attend events at a stadium with affordable wheelchair/platform seating and you choose to sit there, I think that's totally fine. I just think you should be the one to decide and not your local sports team.
Laurel and Stockard