[nagdu] Chocolate labs

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 21:44:56 UTC 2014

There was an article a while back which described the genetic relationship
between the different Lab coat colors.  As I remember, it is not as simple
as just one dominant and one recessive color, but depends on the combination
of genes in each parent for several generations back.  But as I recall,
litters do include pups of different colors, including chocolates with
another color in the same litter.  But I may, of course, be remembering
incorrectly.  I'll try to find that article on the web.

However, I do know, for sure, that TSE and Guiding Eyes, at least, have and
do put out chocolates as  guides.  My first guide, Bailey, was a chocolate
Lab, bred and trained by TSE, and he was very mellow and responsible, and
was an excellent guide for nine working years.  And he was definitely bred
for temperament and other working characteristics, but was a lovely
chocolate color to top it off.  As I recall, I was told that several of his
littermates also made it successfully through guide training and placement;
I don't know their colors.  Bailey was the only chocolate in our class.  He
was a holdover from a previous string, so his littermates probably went out
before he did.

Best,
Ann