[nagdu] Owner training questions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 1 00:49:25 UTC 2014

amber,

I would be happy to talk with you.  I'll send you my phone number off list.

To answer your questions briefly...yes, I relied heavily on the puppy
aptitude test.  I also listened carefully to what the breeder was
suggesting.   A part of the choosing is sort of instinct or intuition or
something.  I used science and the breeder's experience to narrow down the
options.  then when I went to look at puppies the pink collar puppy took to
me more so than the others.  she was a strong contender anyway and the fact
that she seemed to like me sealed the deal.  the cute factor is kind of a
moot point, because all the puppies in a litter are equally cute, so you
can't go wrong.

Costs...Jetta was $700 from a breeder.  My previous dogs came from rescue
and were all around $100. I had all the usual expenses, vet, crates (you
will need more than one if you are starting with a puppy), food, bowls,
shampoo, brushes etc.  If you are starting with a baby puppy plan on some
carpet cleaner and some chew damage.

I did take Monty to a beginner obedience class.  I think it was around $85.
It was the only one offered here.  Jetta has gone to several levels of
obedience classes, but where she goes there is a discount for service dog
puppies.  Jetta also went to puppy play group when she was little.  Prices
vary, but I'd anticipate $10 or so for a couple of hours.  If you find a
training place you'd like, they could be a really great resource.

I make my own harnesses.  If you purchase one, you could expect to pay
between $100 and $300 depending on materials and features.   I bought
Jetta's puppy vest from Raspberry Fields.  I want to say it was around $30.
She's used the same vest all throughout her puppy training.  They adjust
quite a bit.  With Monty I just had an "In training" patch clipped to his
harness.  I think it was something like $10 to $15.

I've had sighted family members help out with things like setting up
obstacles and traffic training. You might need to figure in extra
transportation costs, depending on your particular situation.

HTH
Julie