[nagdu] An Indian with a million Questions

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 1 11:52:01 UTC 2014

I love your cultural ramblings!  I also love your humor, honesty and
willingness to do for yourself!

My thoughts in no particular order...I live in a tiny town that is in the
middle of a vast agricultural area.  My husband is a farmer.  We don't have
buffalo, but there are cows, horses, goats and llamas.  My dog will look at,
but is not distracted by cows, horses and goats.  The llamas, however, scare
him badly.   Mostly I am able to avoid the llamas, so it works. If I lived
around them, I'm not sure what I'd do.  I think the other animals are calm
and mostly ignore my dog, but the llamas seem to do more looking and that
evil hissing they do.

Yes, I leave my dog home from time to time.  I've been doing this more as of
recently so hopefully he will be a bit more used to it when Jetta comes.
Mostly it depends on your individual dog and how long he can go in between
outdoor breaks.  Typically I'm only gone for 3 or 4 hours without him.  He
could easily go 6 hours and 8 would probably not be a problem.  For longer,
like the long plane trip, you would perhaps want to feed a smaller portion
of food or skip that meal immediately before the trip.  again it depends on
what your dog can tolerate.

I'd think teaching a dog to go around cow pies would be no different than
going around puddles, pot holes or anything else.  I can't see any reason
why that wouldn't be doable.

Okay as for the no roads part...It is doable, but there are some things to
keep in mind.  If there are walkways of some variety, even if they are dirt,
the dog will be able to figure that out and can keep you on that specific
path.  If you have entirely wide open spaces, probably the best thing to do
is to teach the dog to target specific objects.  It could be a building, a
specific sign post, a trash bin or anything else that will help you know
where you are.  From there you can give the dog a direction or ask him to
target the next landmark.  this is substantially different from the way the
guide dog schools train here, but your situation is quite a bit different
from what we have here.  It only makes sense to teach your dog skills that
will be helpful to you.

As for the packs of dogs...that is a really tough problem.  I unfortunately
don't have any good suggestions.  If it helps, I have noticed that a well
socialized, confident dog who gets along well with other dogs seems to
attract less negative attention from loose dogs.  However here I am dealing
with pet dogs who have escaped their yards.  There aren't packs of dogs
without owners running about.

Picking up after your dog has a few advantages you maybe haven't
considered...if you are taking your dog out in the same place most of the
time, the poop is going to pile up, attract loads of insects, smell really
bad and probably upset your neighbors.  Knowing the consistency of your dogs
leavings also helps to know the health of your dog.  Also consistent
relieving habits will help you to know when to expect that your dog needs to
go.  If he learns that he can go whenever and wherever, he will.  then when
you are in a shopping center or the dentist you could get an unpleasant
surprise.

I'd say that I take my dog out to relieve probably 6 times per day, more
like 8 if we are traveling, just to be safe.   He's super fast at relieving
though, so each of those trips is like a couple of minutes.

As for advocating for the right to have the dog...you have to start
somewhere.  If you are willing to take on the task, then good for you!  It
is a huge task though.  The advocating will be different from the questions
and attention you get with your cane, but I don't think it will be any less.

Best of luck!
Julie