[nagdu] Owner training questions

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Aug 1 18:20:27 UTC 2014

Barb,

As many hours as it takes? /lol/ Julie already gave my stock first
response: It depends on how you define training. Truly. If training
means setting aside specific blocks of time at specific times of day to
work on teaching a dog to perform specific behaviors, the most truthful
answer I can give is, "none at all." In terms of my day-by-day,
minute-by-minute interactions with the dog, teaching and reinforcing and
shaping, then the answer is 24/7 unless one of us is sleeping. There's
even a period in a young, energetic dog's life where I may be training
while I'm sleeping because the obnoxious monster is on some sort of
restriction (crate, tie-down, whatever is handy) to learn to be quiet
and self-soothing or self-entertaining while I try to get some sleep. /lol/

Since the guide dog the pup will become will be spending all day every
day with me, working or resting while I work (or eat), then the dog
needs to know how to interact with the world at home and away all day
every day in all sorts of circumstances. So I am always communicating
how I want her/him to interact, how I want her/him to rest or
self-manage appropriately while I am busy, how I want her/him to act
while I am sitting at the table eating, and on and on. I'm always
communicating what I want in our partnership, shaping the young dog in
attitude as much as in behavior. Then there is teaching the long list of
specific behaviors, then teaching the dog how to put them together into
guide work, then teaching the young dog how to apply all that in
real-world guiding, then...

So I do specific training in short bits throughout the day, once the dog
has learned the behavior for the command and how to chain into other
behaviors. It looks like my current baby poodle is as quick as Mitzi
poodle, so that takes no time at all. /smile/ Then I wait awhile and
review the training somewhere else -- in the house, in the yard, while
there are distracting things going on...Then we play a bit for fun, then
we will review another way later. Makes trying to come up with a neat
chart I can point to as a training log nigh-on impossible, but my
narrative notes are ridiculously long, if tedious. /shrug/ Sometimes I
use play to train behaviors or partnership, since the reward is built
into the activity. With this pup, I have the two adult dogs to take on
the random, rowdy play to expend energy -- and to teach him how to play
appropriately with other dogs. They're also doing a splendid job of
teaching him boundaries and respect, and even a few of the house rules,
so I have it pretty easy right now. /smile/

I don't know if that's a really satisfactory answer for your
decision-making and planning, since I know you're debating whether to
owner-train. But the best plan I can give you is that if you're not
asleep and you're not at work, you are training your dog. This is why my
stock answer to what it takes to be an owner-trainer is "you gotta love
it. I mean, really, really, love, love, love training." /smile/

Tami

On 07/31/2014 08:34 PM, Barb breuer via nagdu wrote:
 > I was wondering  how many hours aday do you people who train your dog
train?

 > Barb
 >
 > Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

I think
 > I’ll give this dog a try.  You didn’t pick him or her because s/he
was cute.  Or
 > cuddly.  Or energetic.  Or did you?
 >
 > Another big question I have is about costs.  Before anyone comments
that of
 > course there will be costs, don’t.  I understand that.  But what I am
looking
 > for is a general idea of some of the things you bought/paid
for/services needed,
 > and maybe an average of how much that thing/service/experience costed
you.  For
 > example, if I choose to get various vaccines, I can look those up
anywhere.  Any
 > vet’s office will let me know those things.  If I want to know about
the cost of
 > a crate, I could look online or go to a pet store.  If I want to know
the cost
 > of foods I will feed, I can find that information.  But what I’m
looking for
 > information on is acquisition of your dog; acquisition of puppy vest
for still
 > in training; acquisition of harness; any assistance for sighted
assistance in
 > training, whether that was for training traffic checks or for
observation only
 > or for a trainer’s professional opinion etc.  Expenses that aren’t
readily
 > available for me to just look up.
 >
 > Finally, if anyone is willing to talk with me off list, I would be very
 > grateful.  If there is such a thing as a list for owner trainers so
that I am
 > not cluttering this list with my questions, I would also love to know
about that
 > as well.  I joined the clicker solutions list and am hoping that when
I come

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/barbandzoe%40comcast.net