[nagdu] Greyhound trip with a guide dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 00:49:47 UTC 2014

Noah,

	The fact that you will be traveling with a guide dog is irrelevant
as to your access. Some will have opinions to offer in answer to your
questions. My first comment is that providing advance notice is not only
unnecessary, it tends to create problems rather than  resolve them. They
cannot require you to give such notice, cannot require you to sit in a
specific seat, or any other particular practices. I find that the best place
to sit on the bus is wherever your dog best fits. I do find that the seat
behind the driver tends to not be the best one. It seems that it is where
the fire extinguisher is and this actually reduces the space available for
the dog.

	You will likely have plenty of opportunity to relieve your dog, as
they will have meal breaks and this will afford you the opportunity to
relieve yourself and your dog. How accommodating drivers are tends to be
inconsistent. For the most part, they are fairly accommodating; however, we
are currently dealing with an issue in which a blind person had an issue. If
you have any problems, please do not hesitate to call the NAGDU hotline at
888-NAGDU411 (888-624-3841).

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala