[nagdu] Poodles

Diane vlasoff at roadrunner.com
Tue Aug 5 16:49:10 UTC 2014

Danielle,

Congratulations on your new guide dog.

It sounds like you are trying to be a respectful, responsible observer.

First, I was the widowed parent of 3 elementary school aged children when I
got my first guide dog.  We have been in each of their classrooms from first
grade until they each attended junior high.  We never had a problem with
allergy issues nor did we address it.  Several of the elementary school
teachers in this district were and continue to raise puppies for GDB.  It is
just not an issue here.

If you continue to have a personal concern about this my best advice is to
either email or call the teacher you will be observing with a brief overview
of your concerns and how you would prefer to approach the issue.

You have every right to bring your guide dog into the school setting.
Children of all disabilities are accommodated and schools will accommodate
you as an observer or faculty member.  As was previously mentioned children
with allergies can and should know how to advocate for themselves.  It would
be unwise as a parent not to address this with your child.

Good luck!

Diane