[nagdu] Poodles

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Aug 5 18:52:33 UTC 2014

Larry,

The perception that poodles are totally allergen free can be convenient,
as well. At least one cab driver (or someone somewhere, since it was so
long ago I don't exactly remember) has tried to start on the allergy
excuse, then just let it die with a sad sigh. "But it's a poodle, so..."
I grinned and said, "She sure is!" Just to make it clear that I didn't
feel sorry at all that he was stuck with us. /lol/

The perception that poodles are just fru-fru fashion accessories has its
pluses and minuses. Some people have no compunction at all about mauling
the dog because it's just so cute and sweet and... This puts a lot of
stress on the dog who would rather not be mauled. Mitzi has learned to
deal, but still! There have been times I have seriously wished for an
ugly, mean-looking mutt for a guide, just for the peace and quiet. /lol/

I do like it that we're not leaving a bunch of hair behind us. When
Mitzi is well-shorn, it's easy to keep her clean unless the weather is
really messy, and even then it's easy to wipe her off with a towel. When
her hair gets longer, I have to remember to check for things sticking to
it, but if I keep up with the brushing, she stays clean.

My husband can tell which is which. She's the elegant, beautiful one.
I'm the goofy-looking one with freckles. /lol/ When I was thinking I
might end up with a red poodle, I was quite worried that it would end up
being close to my hair color... Oh, yay! More reason for people to
assume I get my hair done to match my poodle! And, if I was really
lucky, someone (or even someones!) could ask seriously how much it cost
to dye the dog to match on top of the perm (for the dog) and how long
does it take to get the curls just right every day and... No, really.
People have asked how long it takes me to curl my poodle like that. Do I
use a curling iron? Is it a special one because she's a dog, or do I use
the same one I use to curl my hair? Honestly, such questions make my
hair stand on end. /lol/

Tami