[nagdu] Blind man and guide dog assaulted

Ginger Kutsch Ginger at ky2d.com
Sat Aug 9 21:14:37 UTC 2014

Blind man and guide dog assaulted

By AJ Walker, WTNH Reporter

Published: August 8, 2014,

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -  A blind Hartford man is beaten and attacked
outside his apartment building on Sigourney Street, and the crooks even beat
up his seeing-eye dog.

The alleged victim, 49-year-old Francis Shannon, says it happened last
Sunday when he went to take his dog out for a walk, but he only recently
told police, fearing retaliation from the men.

He says three men beat him, held a knife to his throat and took off with his
wallet. He says they also kicked and beat his seeing-eye dog, Lady, until
she was unconscious. "One guy starts kicking me and punching me in the
stomach and in the chest and I could feel a knife up to my throat," said
Shannon.

He says when Lady was knocked out, he thought she was dead. He was overjoyed
when learned she is alive and well. His guide dog is not only his best
friend, but she is his eyes.

He said he hopes the police catch the men who attacked him and Lady. It'll
be tough, because, being blind, he can't give them a description. However,
he says he recognizes the voices of the men who attacked him because they
hang out regularly at a deli only a couple of blocks from where he lives.

He is terrified that they could come back again. But if they do, it won't be
such a sneak attack because his dog Lady will be on high alert.

"They come around her, she's going to let me know. She's going to be
whining. She's going to be barking," said Shannon. "She has a good memory."

Source: http://wtnh.com/2014/08/08/blind-man-and-seeing-eye-dog-assaulted/