[nagdu] Introducing myself

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:26:17 UTC 2014

HI Nicole, Neena is a Golden Retriever.  Well, I'm not an
instructor, so take anything I say with a grain of salt regarding
getting rid of undesired behavior.  One thing I'm trying with
Neena when she tries to chew something that I don't want her to
chew on, like the charger to my Apex.  I tell her no, letting her
know verbally that I do not approve of that behavior.  Then I
give her her bone or some other toy and praise her for chewing
that.  It doesn't always work, but I'm trying that.  Of course,
there is always the leash correction, but I try verbal
corrections first, however she is a little girl with a mind of
her own sometimes.  I remember in class, we talked about a ladder
of corrections-you know, especially for distractions, leave it,
then the word we use, pfui, then a light leash correction, and so
forth.  The thing that I always have to remember is that first
and foremost, these are dogs.  They have certain instinctual
behaviors and our job is to suppress those, to an extent.  If we
don't, then they are no good to us as guides, and we might as
well save the bother of training and just get a pet.  Well, I
need to go, I have a Braille student coming in about five
minutes, and I need to get stuff ready to go.    Debby