[nagdu] Tea Tree Oil

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:26:20 UTC 2014

I find it interesting that people will bash or advise against natural
methods, then they turn around and slather, inject, and feed their
animals stuff that is known for causing adverse effects. People will
pump their dogs full of stuff that they wouldn't dare eat or put on
themselves. This stuff is known for causing auto-immune disease,
cancers, kidney and liver malfunction/failure, stomach upset,
intestinal malfunction, seizures, neurotoxicity, and the list is
never-ending.
Given, most substances are unsafe or harmful in gross amounts. But
some stuff is just downright poisonous by nature. People who say
they'd rather stick to traditional methods than risk effects of the
natural methods do not realize, or refuse to acknowledge that they are
already playing with fire, and that the stuff they currently give
their pets has a myriad of side effects. Just because nothing went
wrong last month, doesn't mean something can't go wrong this month or
3 months down the road. Just because your dog isn't howling in pain,
doesn't mean he doesn't have a headache, soreness , or internal
issues.
Natural methods or not, people need to learn that the rule of thumb is
less is more. Conventional medicine trains people to believe more is
best; so yes, animals suffer when individuals switch to natural
methods and want to play a different game by the same rules. And they
don't want to, or bother to research the safety of the ingredients in
the chemicals they are assaulting their animals with, or they don't
bother to research effective usage of natural modalities. Nothing is
risk-free, but especially not traditional methods.
Conventional vets or doctors of any kind will typically advise against
natural modalities because it doesn't keep you and your dog coming
back. If you continue using their poisons, you'll surely stay in their
pockets. Also, they are effectively brain-washed against the natural
methods. They typically only do what they are told to do without
questioning, and they are told to do what will earn them more dollars.
As I have said, it is highly possible to avoid pests without needing
to apply anything to your pets, natural or conventional. I abandoned
traditional poisons 9 months ago, and all summer, the Golden Guy has
been healthy, happy, and active, without the annoyance of fleas,
ticks, and other pests. Caring for your dog using the laws of nature
is very effective. People don't want to believe it because it is
incredibly simple and carefree, and they have been made to be so
terrified of and worried over bugs.

On 8/11/14, Becky Frankeberger via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I sent this to someone who responded to the original message, but thought
> it
> might clarify some points so decided to sent it to the list as well.
> or read as you please.  Smile.
>

> Becky
>

> I think many vets are open to natural solutions.  But they also see the
> results of abuse or misuse of natural products.  Also, natural does not
> always mean safe.  Here's an article on tea tree oil.  I found information
> on cedar and other oils for flea prevention but again, the more information
> we have as to proper use and potential problems, the better.
>
> Is Tea Tree Oil Safe for Pets?
>
> petMD
>
> by Dr. Ken Tudor
>
> Tea tree oil, or Australian tree tea oil, has become a popular alternative
> treatment for many skin conditions affecting humans. Its popularity has
> resulted in some veterinary skin care products that contain small amounts
> of
> tea tree oil. In small concentrations (.1% to 1%), tea tree oil is
> tolerated
> and safe for cats and dogs.
>
> Unfortunately, the oil's popularity has resulted in larger numbers of
> households with bottles of 100 percent tree tea oil, and accidental
> ingestion or improper dilutions of this highly concentrated oil can be
> harmful to pets.
>
> What is Tea Tree Oil?
>
> Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of a tree native to Australia
> that
> is similar to the myrtle tree. The tree has been introduced to America and
> is grown in the southern states, particularly Florida. The clear to pale
> yellow oil has a camphor-like smell and has bactericidal and fungicidal
> properties.
>
> It is used topically to treat acne, boils, burns and insect bites in humans
> and pets.
>
> It is also used for treating athlete's foot, gingivitis, impetigo,
> tonsillitis, and vaginal infections in humans. It is sometimes added to
> vaporizers to treat respiratory infections. The oil can also be found in
> soaps, toothpaste, lotions, and skin creams.
>
> Tea tree oil is toxic, to both humans and pets, if taken orally. In
> Australia 100 percent tree tea oil is categorized as a schedule 6 toxin.
>
> Packaging there requires child-proof containers and cautionary labeling.
>
> Such packaging and labeling are not necessary in the U.S. and Canada.  A 10
> year long veterinary study of tea tree oil toxicity in pets found that 89
> percent of owners who used 100 percent oil assumed that it was safe. The
> researches felt that the lack of labeling was a major reason for the
> feeling
> of safety on the part of American pet owners.
>
> Tea Tree Oil Toxicity for Pets
>
> Tea tree oil contains various types of chemicals called terpenes. These are
> the chemicals that make the oil effective against bacteria and fungi. They
> [...]

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com