[nagdu] German guide dog system

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Thu Aug 21 02:44:38 UTC 2014

Ugh, insurance. In the United States, health insurance does not pay for
guide dogs, but they do definitely play games with trying to not have to pay
for things. Anyway...
There are several guide dog schools in the United States. Most do not charge
for a guide dog, and the few that do seem to charge only as a terms of
ownership or something but not nearly the amount for the training. That is
good that you found a school that you like. There has been a lot of
discussion on the list about the way that different United States guide dog
schools treat the dogs and the handlers. United States guide dog schools
have training completely at the center, part time at the center and part
time at home, or completely at home with some of the schools that that do
completely at the center doing completely at home in certain circumstances.
That is interesting about the exam at the end of the training. It sounds
like they have found a way to do it where it would not be biased. That is
good that the school offers follow up if needed. The different schools in
the United States offer different follow up depending on the school and
where you live. Yes, I agree that training in a familiar environment is
advantageous as the dog will most likely be looking to you for direction and
support, which is easiest to give when you know your surroundings. What are
the laws regarding guide dog access in public in Germany? Does the school
give you ownership of your dog?

Nicole and Lexia