[nagdu] Rules Regarding Pet Dogs was RE: New Jersey Laws regarding guide dogs being attacked

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:59:20 UTC 2014

I agree with barb here.  You don't know what lexia did.  If it was an anxious dog, sometimes having another dog look at it will make it growl.  I don't like pulling the whole, "you didn't see what happened", but when it comes to aggression be it nervous aggression or territorial or otherwise, you kind of have to because, even for a sighted trainer or handler, body language that is nonverbal is super important and you don't know what body language the other dog was giving off, coupled with what your dog was doing unless you were contiously keeping an eye out.

Does that mean that it was okay for the dog to growl? by human standards, I'd say no.  And I agree that if the dog was nervous aggressive, the owner should do the dog a favor and not put the dog in a situation where it feels so nervous.  That being said, your dog is not stupid.  I don't mean to sound mean here, but I doubt she's like, "oh no! (sob) Why is the meanie bully growling at me?"  While the dog may be a bully (in a pack position it can't handle) your dog knows why it growled.  They understand their culture better than we do.
You might not have known the owner, but you were obviously close enough to hear the growl. you could have asked if the dog was aggresive (though most owners will lie to you about that), or if that dog was nervous around other dogs.

I once had a well known person's guide dog growl and snap at my puppy once when he was about 3 months.  Zion may have just looked at this dog, but what was I going to do? Tell this person that she couldn't bring her guide dog around?

It can be flustering when a dog growls at your dog, but staying calm is the only thing you can do.  Get in front of yoru dog and adopt a "this dog is mine. don't you come near it" aditude might tell the other dog that you're in charge.  If you're not comfortable doing that, make sure your dog's focus is on you and ignore the dog. This sends a message to your dog that you're not worried, it shouldn't be either.

You also never said what the owner of the dog did once the dog growl.  If the owner did nothing, you could ask that he or she control the dog.  I don't care if you don't know this person. it's no excuse for an owner not to keep an eye and ear to what their dog is doing.

Just my thoughts.