[nagdu] California: Dogs allowed in outside restaurants

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sat Aug 23 21:34:23 UTC 2014

SACRAMENTO (CBS/AP) - California is known for being pet-friendly but we've
taken it to another level. Fido will soon be able to feast with you when you
go out to eat.

Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday announced signing a bill permitting pet dogs at
restaurants with outdoor spaces. It does not force restaurants to allow
dogs, but rather implements guidelines for how they can accommodate pets.

"I think it's absolutely awesome," Sherman Oaks resident and dog owner
Catina Lesavoy said. "Dogs are a part of your family and I don't want to
leave them home while I'm doing things. And California [weather] is nice all
the time and you want them to kind of be with you, so it's kind of
all-inclusive."

Some local public health departments have allowed dogs in outdoor dining
areas for years, but the state has banned the practice. Local jurisdictions
can still ban it if they choose.

The bill requires a separate entrance for outdoor dining areas and says pets
are not allowed on chairs, seats or benches. They also must be on a leash or
in a pet carrier under control of the owner.

Owners also must clean up after their pets.

The law takes effect next year.