[nagdu] Would like some advice

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 15:35:44 UTC 2014

Good morning all.  I will try to make this brief.  As most of you
know, I recently returned from Seeing Eye with Neena, a 21-month
Golden Retriever.  She is a good guide, (we have some issues but
nothing truly major).  But it's her behavior when not guiding
that is giving me problems.  She is my 7th dog, so you'd think I
could handle this.  First of all, Neena is obsessed with having
something in her mouth at all times.  I have tried taking away
undesirable things and giving her a bone or some other toy to
replace the bad stuff, like Klenex, paper, leaves, grass.  This
has not worked very well.  I have tried correcting her, this is
not working well, other than making both of us feel bad.  Today
she came rushing in from parktime and immediately grabbed paper.
I couldn't figure out where the heck she was getting it, until I
discovered that she was getting it from the trash can by my
husband's chair in the living room.  He had put it out of the
way, so she would really have to make an effort to get to it.  (I
have suggested getting a different kind that closes).  He has
ignored that suggestion.  So maybe he needs a pfui.  [German word
Seeing Eye uses as correction, meaning basically shame on you".
I grabbed paper out of her mouth, tried giving her the bone, and
then a tug toy, but to no avail.  I finally began showing her the
nasty stuff and telling her pfui.  Finally she went into the
bedroom, got up on the bed where my retired dog was lying, and
sought solace from him, I think.  I put her in her crate, and she
willingly went in.  What can I do? How can I make her stop doing
this? I'm afraid she will get sick.    Debby and Neena