[nagdu] Would like some advice

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:46:54 UTC 2014

First, I suggest keeping your dog on leash. I don't remember how new
she is, but I kept my dog on leash for the first 2 weeks of being
home. This way, I showed him right away what was expected of him in
the house. When I let him off leash, I could trust him. Whenever he
went after something, I called him over to me or gave him something
else to focus on.
Second, Corrections will not work because your dog does not know what
she should do with the items instead. In this case, you want her to
ignore it. Remember that your dog has not lived in a house for quite
some time, so she needs a refresher course on what's inappropriate and
what's not.
Let's approach this actively rather than retroactively. Approaching it
actively means stopping it before it happens, rather than fussing over
it once it does happen.
I recommend setting up sessions where you show your dog that you want
her to ignore or leave the paper, and reward her for this. When I did
distraction training with my golden, I focused on gaining his
attention first. So whether it was his name, a touch command, or a
sound cue, I would grab his attention away from the distraction. This
way, he is redirected to pay attention to me and leave the
distraction.
Without the distractions around, work on grabbing your dog's
attention, and just reward her for responding. Figure out what you can
do to get her to respond the quickest. Then incorporate distractions
once you and Nina are successful. Walk her by some of the things that
she goes after. if she goes after them, don't correct her. Simply grab
her attention and reward her. If she ignores you, take away the
distraction. What you are doing here is giving your dog a choice,
allowing her to understand what is appropriate and inappropriate, and
teaching her self discipline. You must undo your dog's belief that
these inappropriate things are rewarding. Therefore, you must prevent
her from getting them in the first place, and you must show her that
focusing on you is more rewarding.

On 8/24/14, Tracy Carcione via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Most goldens love balls more than anything in the world.  Could you try
> trading paper for a ball?  Or a kong might be sufficiently ball-like.  Maybe
>
> the bone just isn't as exciting as the paper, in her golden mind.
> Tracy

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com