[nagdu] Would like some advice

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:44:01 UTC 2014

Hi Debbie,

Bill is exactly the same with the oral fixation problem.  I agree with
those who have said to remove the trashcan as a temptation.  But that
won't solve your problem either.  If your dog is like mine, she will
pick up laundry, stuffed animals, anything within reach.  Thankfully,
Bill won't snatch food, but here's what I've done to manage this
issue.

I've limited Bill's freedom.  We have a tie down, and if I need to be
busy doing things and can't really keep a close eye on him, I'll put
him on tie down, do some things, let him free and be attentive to him
for a while, and repeat.  Bill's trainer said that the reward system
does well for him.  I have expanded that into a system of changing
what is expected of him.  His periods of freetime have been getting
longer and longer, but he still tends to get into trouble when left up
to his own devices for too long.

You have been doing the take-away-and-replace method.  I would also
praise and reward her for picking up her bone when she does this and
even do some setups where she has a choice between a bone or a drier
sheet or something else tempting to doggy mouths.  And if you don't
want her wandering and getting in trouble, put her on leash.  I still
do this when I have company over for dinner.

I'll let you know if I find anything else that works!

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National