[nagdu] California: Dogs allowed in outside restaurants

Skewis, Brian@DCA Brian.Skewis at dca.ca.gov
Mon Aug 25 16:09:58 UTC 2014

Hi all,

While I'm not a lawyer, regardless of the any new laws in California, it is my understanding that the following penal code sections would still apply to guide, signal, and service dogs.

CA PENAL CODE 600.2
[a] It is unlawful and constitutes an infraction for any person to permit any dog which is owned, harbored, or controlled by him or her to cause injury to or the death of any guide, signal, or service dog, as defined by Section 54.1 of the Civil Code, while the guide, signal or service dog is in discharge of its duties.

[b] In any case in which the defendant is convicted of a violation of this section, the defendant shall be ordered to make restitution to the disabled person who has custody or ownership of the guide, signal or service dog for any veterinary bills and replacement costs of the dog if it is disabled or killed.

CA PENAL CODE 600.5
[a] Any person who intentionally causes injury to or the death of any guide, signal, or service dog, as defined by Section 54.1 of the Civil Code, while the dog is in discharge of its duties, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year, or by a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both a fine and imprisonment.

[b] In any case in which the defendant is convicted of a violation of this section, the defendant shall be ordered to make restitution to the disabled person who has custody or ownership of the dog for any veterinary bills and replacement costs of the dog if it is disabled or killed.

Feel free to contact the Board with any questions,

Brian Skewis
Executive Officer
California State Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind
Office: 916-574-7825