[nagdu] From Cane To Dog

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:35:45 UTC 2014

Hi there! Wow, great explanation of traveling with a dog versus
traveling with a cane.  For me, I was blind from birth but did
not use a cane until high school.  I honestly don't know how I
kept from really getting injured badly at school and other places
where I walked without a cane, before I had my first mobility
lesson.  When I got to Seeing Eye, back then they told us to put
away our canes.  Now we are allowed to use them until we are
using our dogs in harness in the house.  So that first few days
when we were heeling our dogs around with no canes was murder for
me.  It was almost a freeing experience to get to use the dog in
the house after walking very slowly and fearfully.  Lol.  I still
have to use my cane on a daily basis where I work, because I work
in manufacturing and the dogs aren't allowed in that area, so I'm
still keeping "my hand in" using my cane.  (Grin).  I do think
it's good to go back to the cane every once in a while because
otherwise when you do have to make that change because your dog
is ill or retiring and you have a wait time bed class, you won't
be so traumatized.  I know people who freak out when that
happens, and I've been one of them.  Hope this helps.    Peace,
Debby and Miss Neena